Aiming for the Win

Elizabeth Owusu, Staff Reporter

On Friday, February 3, the Varsity Boys Basketball team played against King George High School. It was definitely an attention-grabbing game. Although it was cold, supporters from both teams still came out to watch the game.
In the beginning the Chargers were off to a rocky start. They seemed as though they were not playing as a cohesive team as their opponents were up by two points in the first quarter. The Chargers set themselves up for a huge comeback.
By the third quarter the crowd was extremely rowdy. The game was getting really intense. The Chargers made up for their subpar performance in the 1st half. They realized that if they did not start playing as a team they would lose the game. In the second half both teams were neck and neck, with a score of 35-37, the Chargers were down by 2 points. Their competitive nature started to burn bright; the win was so close they could almost touch it. The boys knew they had to step it up, and in the fourth quarter, that is exactly what they did.
E.J. Jenkins, Matt Byram, and Jason Brown led the charge in the last quarter. The Chargers managed to make a comeback. With only one minute left the Chargers were up 9 points. Matt Byram brought his A-game making the majority of the shots throughout the fourth quarter. He was accompanied by Jenkins, and Brown. The remaining players on the team provided good support, and were starting to play as one. By the end of fourth quarter the Chargers outmatched King George. The final score was 78-63, adding another win to the Chargers’ record.
Overall it was a game that took the crowd through various emotions. The crowd was frustrated, happy, and nervous all within three hours. The Boys’ Basketball team never fail to deliver an eventful game.