Dramatizing Devising Performance

Tyler Jacobs, Margo Weber, Ethan Pearson, Hanna Park, Olivia Royster, Abby Nichols, and Carla Reyes perform in one of the HUES scenes.

Erin Jobes

Erin Jobes

Becca Alicandro, Staff Reporter

It is not unknown that Chancellor has an amazing drama department. The students of Mr. Armentrout’s Drama III class put together a devising called Hues and performed it on February 2, 2017. The cast included twenty-two students who brought their ideas to life in a performance thought up entirely themselves.

“The performance was thought up with the inspiration of colors,” states performing junior Megan Allison. “Everyone brainstormed ideas to get across to the audience. We were trying to portray the idea to always enjoy life”.  

The performance was well played out and consisted of thirteen different scenes that formed the show into an hour long performance. The scenes all showed how color and emotions are related, and different feelings that can be expressed through each color. Allison says, “The devising was mostly classwork and took around three to four months to completely put together”.

On the night of the performance, Drama teacher Mr.Armentrout explained to the audience how proud he was of his students considering most of them have not performed in that kind of style, and the act of playwriting was somewhat new to them.

“I am very satisfied with how the performance turned out. So things could have been better, but overall I am happy with what we were able to accomplish,” mentions Allison. The turn out of the crowd was good, with mostly all of the chairs claimed.

Another performer, junior Abigail Nichols, says, “I did not expect the amount of people to turn up who did. It was really exciting to see more (people) come out to support our performance.”

Overall the performance was well played out, and each actor looked as if they were naturally supposed to be on the stage. “It was my first time performing in a non-realism style. It was not my favorite kind of performing, but the devising performance itself was fun. I enjoyed the experience,” states Nichols.