Oliver:  The Man The Myth The Legend

Myah Hidalgo, Co-Editor in Chief

“Coach Oliver has impacted my life big time. He always came up to me during or after practice to talk. Even in the classroom, He constantly supported me,” states Austin Siepp, a senior football player here at Chancellor.

Siepp has been a player of Oliver’s since freshmen year, and has been deeply impacted by him. “Coach Oliver would always say, Play Hard. Play Fast. Play together. That has always stuck with me both on and

off the field.”

This year, we are both honored and saddened to announce Robert Oliver’s retirement from teaching chemistry and coaching football  from Chancellor High School. Oliver has taught at Chancellor since it’s opening in 1989, that’s 28 years of inspiring faculty and students. Even in college, Oliver had a knack for chemistry.

“My life was pretty regimented… If I wasn’t practicing football, I was in the lab,” stated Oliver.  Oliver has always been thankful for his position here at Chancellor, because he got to teach and coached what he loved the most for 40 years.

Oliver has see

n how Chancellor has progressed and how its students have changed through the years.

“The biggest change, has been the use of cellphones,” chuckled Oliver. “When I first started, students weren’t  so preoccupied with the cellphones. Having them isn’t so conducive when you’re teaching chemistry.”  Testing has also changed. “SOLs weren’t around when I started, which is why I push my students, and gear my class to prepare for them.”

What Oliver will miss the most about teaching at Chancellor, is the anticipation of preparing for the SOLs, his anticipation for his students to do well.

“Sure, you got the student’s who don’t make the grade, but it’s not because they haven’t tried,” stated Oliver.  “Chemistry is not an easy subject to teach… I have to figure out what’s the best way to get the subject across to the students.”

After this school year’s end, Oliver will have an open schedule compared to his teaching one.

“I really haven’t thought about what I’m going to do. My life is going from a strict regimented schedule to a lot of time on my hands,” stated Oliver.  “During season, I needed to get this work done, because I would have to head straight to coaching baseball or football right after school.”

Oliver’s commitment to the school hasn’t wavered in 28 years. While teaching chemistry and for a short time; biology, he had 300 wins while coaching baseball, and then decided to coach our football team. Oliver has inspired many students through football and his classes, and when asked where he gets his inspiration from he states, “I get inspiration from my parents who pushed me to do great, and I was lucky to have great students, great football and baseball players, and support from my assistant coaches. It’s a group effort, and I’m thankful that I have great folks to teach along side of.”

It’s safe to say that Robert Oliver has left an amazing impact at Chancellor. His teaching and coaching styles will be greatly missed, but most importantly his personality. Oliver has never given up when things get tough. He is a fighter and he will leave a ever-fixed mark on the Chancellor family.  Oliver has worked his whole life to be the best he possibly could be, and we are so thankful.