Come Together and Perform Together

Andres Fontan, Olivia, Jordan Martens, Abby Nichols, Megan Allison, Emma Masaitis, Need name, Danielle Gray, Hannah Mearns, and Tyler Jacobs perform together in the Drama III devising show

Andres Fontan, Olivia, Jordan Martens, Abby Nichols, Megan Allison, Emma Masaitis, Need name, Danielle Gray, Hannah Mearns, and Tyler Jacobs perform together in the Drama III devising show "Hues"

Erin Jobes

Erin Jobes

Tyler Jacobs, Features Editor

Fredericksburg is filled with many extraordinary people, and often times it can be difficult to find one’s way through town and make new friends, or find new outlets to express themselves. This issue ranges from young kids to senior citizens. Not everyone knows exactly where to look, but community theatre might just be an area to explore for those both new or already fondly acquainted with Fredericksburg.

Being a member of community theatre opens many doors, especially to establish strong relationships and begin networking. It also presents people opportunities to perform, work backstage, or even just enjoy productions starring residents of Spotsylvania and the surrounding area.

Opportunities are plentiful at Stage Door Productions in Fredericksburg. The company holds several events, productions and extracurriculars throughout the year. A year of Stage Door includes a summer musical where anyone of any age can audition. A production does offer more than just performing experience however. Stage Door offers several positions from directing, to stage managing, to stage crew. Stage Door’s Youth program offers two week-long summer camps. These camps allow kids to work with creative arts teachers to broaden their horizons and put on mini productions for their families. The Stage Door Stars Camp reaches out to kids and teens with special needs, also allowing them to work with several teachers and partnering each kid with a high school or college graduate to stay with their kid throughout the day to ensure smooth sailing.

When the summer ends, the youth program also puts together a junior production open for students grades K-12. Several kids come together and over two to three months, work to put together a production  in the late fall. This performance provides acting, singing, directing, and tech opportunities. Following the junior show is a mainstage production which is normally for older members of the community.

“What I liked about that production (Lend Me A Tenor) is that a group of people from a wide variety of backgrounds came together to put on a show for the community,” stated Mr.Armentrout, Chancellor’s Theatre Arts teacher and Stage Door’s current Creative Director.

Stage Door then holds its annual Break-A-Leg 5k in March, hosted by the Spotsylvania Courthouse, sponsored by businesses and people from in and around Fredericksburg. Families, couples, friends, and solo runners from any age are welcome to join in the 5k. This also offers several volunteer opportunities, providing several community service hours. The 5k doesn’t bring the Stage Door season to a close however. The Annual One Act Festival follows, with 600 scripts being sent in for consideration. A team narrows the plays down to six, which are then given to directors. Actors of all ages are needed to audition and later perform in one or multiple of these 10-20 minute plays. This opens several directing, acting, and tech opportunities as well.

Stage Door is also home to a singing group called the Stage Door Singers. They are open to students and adults of any singing experience, meeting once a week in the Stage Door space. This allows members of the community to come together and sing group songs and work on solo pieces from musical theatre and American classics. They function throughout the entire year, putting on arrangements for audiences.

Stage Door performs a production of Shakespeare in the park each summer, doing a different Shakespeare play each summer, which may be a consideration for some if the summer musical isn’t one’s cup of tea.

Stage Door is a welcoming environment filled with generous, caring, and amicable members of the community. There is always someone new to meet and someone to learn something new from. Stage Door is located at 810 Caroline St. on the third floor in the Kitt Creative space. They can also be reached on their website stagedoorproductions.com. Many opportunities are abound, in that space downtown!