Pugh Says Goodbye Chancellor, Hello to Retirement

Mrs. Pugh is always ready to smile!

Erin G. Jobes

Mrs. Pugh is always ready to smile!

Raelyn Slaughter, Layout Editor

I had two surgeries and some cells got into my lymphatic system,” stated Theresa Pugh, chemistry and environmental science teacher here at Chancellor.  “When I started back in September, I only had to have six  weeks of intensive daily radiation Monday through Friday.  I never missed a day of school until my daughter had her twins in Kansas City a week after I finished my last treatment.  I flew out to help her for 10 days.”

After being diagnosed with having grade III invasive cancerous cells in her breast, Pugh has decided to retire this year after working here for 18 years.The medication she is taking is exhausting her and she needs more time and energy to exercise and to visit her almost 96 year old father daily.

Before working at Chancellor Pugh was employed at a roofing  manufacturing company in Massaponax.  “I developed and maintained the Quality Control testing program and supervised the shift technicians. Later, I became the director of research and development and worked with paper, asphalt, paint, and fire retardants,” stated Pugh. “I developed formulas and tested materials.  I handled all the environmental permits and testing certifications.”  For the first five to seven years of teaching, Pugh continued to work there part time during vacations and summers.

Due to volunteering at her three children’s elementary school’s classroom teaching science she grew more of an interest in teaching.

“I was asked to become a long term chemistry sub for a high school,” stated Pugh.  “I really enjoyed it so I went back to Mary Washington College and got my BLS in education for 6-12 science.” She now has a certification to teach both Chemistry and Biology.  She also has a BS degree in Chemistry and in Biology.

Pugh’s favorite thing about Chancellor has been working with the students. “They are always so entertaining, and they make me laugh. I love teaching Chemistry!  I love the labs and activities; the students have so much fun making fire different colors.”

Pugh also appreciates the Special ED department. “I have learned so much from these teachers and aides.  They have supported me the entire time I have been here, even when I had not had an inclusion class,” stated Pugh.  “You are Loving and Talented! Your skills have helped me become a better teacher. “

Pugh plans on continuing to crochet prayer shawls for her church after she retires. “I have been doing this for my church since 2006.  I have made 335 and 107 baby blankets for my mother-in-law’s church.”

In addition to crocheting, she also plans on volunteering to help fellow cancer patients. “Many people do not have the support that I have been so blessed to have been given, especially here at school!”

When her husband retires soon they both plan on moving to h is family’s farm in Floyd Va.  Although she loves the school very much, she will not be back as a substitute, but has offered tutoring if anyone needs it.

Pugh will miss her students, who have been her greatest treasure. “Recently, there have been some days that I would not have been able to push through without their love.”

As she is approaching her retirement she would like to leave behind her love. “Chancellor is a family. We care about each other very much.  I would never have met these wonderful people if I had not spent time here.”