Jump Starting The School Year

TLB Staff

TLB Staff

Elizabeth Owusu, News Editor

A 7:35 late bell, lost students in the hallway, teachers talking about syllabus in every class… You guessed it… it’s a recipe for the first day of school! The first day sets the tone for the rest of the school year. This being said, it is important to start out strong with positive thoughts. With each grade, brings new tasks to conquer.

“Tell me and I forget.Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn,” quoted by Thomas Jefferson.  Freshman, it’s your first year in high school! Believe it or not, this is the most important year. Get involved! Participate in school spirit days, go to sporting events, homecoming, and fine arts events. Make this journey as memorable as possible. However, in the midst of making all those memories, don’t lose yourself, but rather find yourself. Remember who you are, and do not change for anyone.

Not only is the social aspect of high school important, the academic aspect is as well. Building a solid GPA in the beginning is easier than trying to build one at the end. Make sure you stay on top of all your assignments. If you’re struggling in a subject, do not be afraid to ask for help. High school is a lot of fun, but it is also the first step to building your future. Four years may seem like a long time, but trust me, it goes by fast.

“Mistakes are the portals of discoveries,” quoted by James Joyce. Sophomores, you did it! You got through your first year of high school. Is there anything you regret? If so, use this year to recover. Don’t slack off as much, take each class seriously, and pull through. It’s a new year so don’t dwell on the past. Use this year to build your resume. Join clubs, volunteer more, and maintain your grades. Next year, will be hard, so this year, make sure you build a solid GPA.

“I’m not going to school just for the academics -I wanted to share ideas, to be around people who are passionate about learning,” quoted by Emma Watson. Juniors, you can do this… one more year until graduation. For most of you, this will be your hardest year of high school. There are so many loose ends to tie up before your senior year. For those of you going to college, make sure to schedule your SAT or ACT tests. These two tests are important for admission into college. It is also important to stay on top of your grades. Try not to let them slip. Colleges pay extra attention to you during this year. Most importantly, get involved! Colleges want to see your long list of extracurricular activities to prove you are a well rounded student. For those of you not going to college, this year will really be about deciding on what you want to do. Whether you want to go into the military, attend a trade school, or enter the workforce, it is important to plan. High school doesn’t last forever, so start thinking about your future now.

“What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us,” quoted by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Lastly, Class of 2018, we are almost there! Only nine more months until graduation, so pay attention to the hustle and bustle of the first day. We will never experience this again. This will be our last year attending Chancellor High School-sponsored activities as students. Soak in every moment of our last sports games, homecoming bonfire, spirit weeks, prom, and musicals and concerts. Only nine months left until we are sitting in the gym with each other, preparing to walk across that stage, saying goodbye to the people we spent four years with, and closing the charger chapter of our lives. Let’s make the most of it.

It’s a new school year. Enter it with positive thoughts and set new goals. Although you may have some stressful days, do not let it impact your school year. Have a good year!