New School Improvements

TLB Staff

TLB Staff

Makayla Tardie, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Over the summer, Chancellor High School worked on providing new improvements to enhance the quality, comfort, and safety of the school and students. These changes have many students talking!

“LED lighting has replaced fluorescent lighting in the school,” states Assistant Principal Kim Lauderdale. Many classrooms have new lighting panels on the wall which allow instructors to dim or turn on and off lights as needed. These new-and-improved light switches make the classroom experience more comfortable both for teachers and students. “The lighting is not completed yet,” explained Lauderdale. “It’s slated to be done by January.”

The fire alarms have also been changed. Now, fire alarms are in every room and are easily heard no matter where someone is in the school. Every alarm flashes, which is beneficial to those hard of hearing. The alarm itself is louder, and has a woman’s voice instructing what to do during the emergency. Lockdown drills have also changed this year to make the school safer. Now, classes are instructed to barricade their doors instead of just locking them. This is extremely beneficial for the safety of the students and staff.

An improved emergency panel in the office, which shows a picture of the school and all exits and fire alarms in the building, makes it easier to tell where a fire alarm is being pulled. “The new panel shows where a fire alarm is being pulled so officials can see its location,” states Lauderdale. “Before, we would have to go around the building and check them all, and it’s a pretty big building.” This is a massive improvement for safety.

In the future, the school hopes to add new bleachers in the gymnasium, similar to the new ones in the stadium. Not only will it provide more comfort, but it will make the gym safer.

“The bleachers in the gym now are older, so really it does end up being a safety improvement,” states Lauderdale. “We plan to improve the bleachers to make them sturdier, safer, and completely handicap accessible.”